Monday, June 13, 2011

What It Is

"What It Is" is a wonderful book by Lynda Barry and The Magic Cephalopod. Lynda Barry has worked as a painter, writer, cartoonist, illustrator, playwright, editor, commentator, and a teacher. I think she is one of my role models now, because I always wanted to be all those things, and I didn't think it was humanly possible to do all  of them in one lifetime. The Magic Cephalopod is more of a pathfinder, and guides pens and pencils. Because of that, I think I respect cephalapods more. (Check out this website, really interesting.http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/ ). Anyways, both (creatures?) are very awesome and talented, and you should definitively read more about them.
So, What It Is is a very, very different and unique book, and I still can't figure out what the book is, most of it is a comic biography about Lynda's life, and some of it is very bizarre pages with random scraps of random pictures, drawings questions, quotes, thoughts, feelings, and numbers. Though a bit strange, I really like the style, and it always leaves me thinking. I think Lynda is very passionate about imagination, creativity and thinking, juts like me. Even more like me, 1/3 of the whole book teaches how to write in an activity book form. Probably the most clever, memorable and definitively the most creative and/or unique book I've read.  But even still, I can't figure out what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment